Springville-Mapleton Pioneer Museum
About

Daughters of Utah Pioneers in Springville, Utah

"The first camp of Daughters of Utah Pioneers in Springville, Utah, was organized April 23, 1920 at a meeting held in the LDS Second Ward Chapel on South Main Street. It was called to order by Mrs Louise M White, who had started the movement among the women of the community. The officers explained that the purpose of the organization was to write and preserve histories of the pioneers and to collect relics from them. It was immediately evident that a place was needed where relics could be housed and displayed. A committee was appointed to meet with the High Council of the LDS Church to seek the use of the "Font House", a small adobe building originally built for baptismal rites, then abandoned. It was situated near the southeast corner of the Old White Meeting House on the corner of Main and Center Streets, across from the City Park. Use of the building was granted by Stake President, G R Maycock, along with a 99 year lease, including protection by firemen and city officers. A relic shower was held in this building. Also, the Daughters met there to cut and sew rags for a new carpet to cover the floor. Many items were collected, each one listed, given a number, description, and name of donor. It was not long until the room was filled with articles and it became necessary to seek larger quarters. A group of Daughters met with the Mayor and City Council and asked for the use of the upper story of the City Hall. Not only did they get permission, but also offers of help to renovate the place, which had long been unused and had accumulated trash which made a good hiding place for spiders, and mice, etc." The Relic Hall was formally opened during a Pioneer Day Celebration in 1933. "Thirty years later... city planners declared that city offices were inadequate and the public library needed expansion, which would necessitate tearing down the City Hall and building a new structure." The City Hall was built in 1880 and it was time to go. "What would become of the relics? Where could they be put? A committee was formed, which included Mrs. Smart and Relic Committee members Minnie Groesbeck and May Miller... The relics were stored in Mary's basement, her garage and the upper floor of the old Reynolds Store Building. All items had to be out of the City Hall as it was to be torn down by April 1, 1964." Minutes of the City Council meeting held July 19, 1965, show that the Daughters of Utah Pioneers would have the use of the main floor of the old Carnegie Library, except the portion in the center, which would be available to the Chamber of Commerce for an office. This information was a compilation of information dated Nov 1982, by Thelma B Carter of Camp Hobble Creek.